Monday, October 24, 2011
Boy howdy, it's been a long day. I've still got 3 loads of laundry to do and a couple more blog posts to write and it's 12:08am already. Anyway, here we go! Today Oakley got her casts off...for good this time!!! I prayed every day of this past 3 weeks that it would go by quickly and it sure did. What a blessing! Now we're onto a whole 'nother can of worms with the whole wearing leg braces thing. So far Oakley has fought, complained and wanted them off every minute since they were put on. She did get some time this afternoon and evening to "rest" her feet with no braces or socks. She enjoyed an extra long, bubbly bath tonight and after she fell asleep I put her back into her socks and braces. To go back to the beginning, we went to the hospital today to get her casts off. While we waited Oakley got to play with the color changing lights (it's her favorite thing to do while we're there). When it came time to get her casts cut off Oakley wouldn't even walk into the room, because she knew what was coming. She was pretty scared and a little more upset this time than last, but we made it through. The SERIOUSLY STINKY casts are gone!!! After they got the casts off I washed her feet and legs. She has some sores and bruising from the casts, as well as a few tender spots. Hopefully those will heal soon. They told me that Oakley probably wouldn't be able to walk because of weak muscles, but she did! A little unsteady, but nonetheless was getting right along. And the best part was that when she walked, she didn't walk on her toes at all!!! This is so great because it means that the casting did it's job; at least as far as we can tell right now. She'll be in braces for the next several months to keep her on the right track. Next stop was at the Orthotics/Prostetics dept. We did an initial fitting and the braces needed some adjusting, so while we waited Oakley got to take her "prescription" for some ice cream to the cafeteria and have a treat. The doctor who took her casts off gave her the "prescription" for ice cream. She had her choice of a soft serve sorbet or an ice cream bar of some sort. When the lady brought the tray of ice cream bars out for Oakley to choose, Oakley chose the BIGGEST one. It was a huge Neapolitan ice cream sandwich. Oakley inhaled the whole thing in less than 5 minutes! She really, really enjoyed that. We went back to try her braces on again, figured out what shoes that I brought would work best with the braces, did some walking around, checked for pressure spots and then we were done. Oakley fell asleep in the car within 5 minutes of leaving the hospital. It was very stressful for her. I'm happy that I don't have to go back to the hospital for another few weeks and I'm sure Oakley is too! I can't believe what a brave, little girl I have. My mom and I were talking today and in the last couple weeks Oakley has really gone from a toddler to child. She has grown up so much! I'm so proud of how strong she's been through all this crappy stuff. I love her to death and I only want the best for her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Awww...poor kiddo! That's gotta be stressful. I'm glad the casting seems to have worked, though. That's good news! Hopefully the next few months of braces will go by fast, too, right?!
So glad to hear the casts worked well. The braces are so cute with the flowers! No wonder you sounded so tired last night when I talked with you.
Post a Comment