Friday, January 27, 2012

This is Oakley and David having a coloring party at a little after 2am this morning. You're probably wondering why on Earth they would be up at that hour coloring. Well, let's go back to the beginning. Every night between 1 and 3 hours after Oakley goes to sleep she wakes up and gets in our bed to sleep. And as I'm sure you all know, sleeping with a rowdy toddler is not restful. I wake up with my back and neck aching; it's just no fun! So we've decided that it's time for a little sleep training boot camp. The last few nights we've fought the screaming, crying, begging, yelling, and getting out of bed over and over and over and over again. But last night was the worst. Oakley screamed and cried and begged for hours and wound up so upset she started vomited everywhere. So at a little after 2 we were cleaning up massive amounts of vomit and trying to decide how to move forward with this sleep training. David sat down to color with Oakley for a little while to help her calm down enough for bed. We decided that Oakley could choose a little bed on the floor of our room or to be in her bed. Obviously the girl chose our room. After 3 stories Daddy and Oakley were sleeping soundly, both with plenty of room to spread out. After I turned the light out I was asleep within 3-5 seconds and we all peacefully rested until 9am this morning. I'm definitely not a perfect parent and I don't know how to make this transition easy for Oakley, but hopefully we'll continue to make progress towards an uninterrupted, restful night of sleep for all.

1 comment:

Stephen and Melissa said...

There is NO good way to teach kids to sleep. At least if there is a way we don't know it. We went through something similar with Evelyn to get her to sleep in her own bed at 6-7 months and are going through it with Leah now. It sucks but when trying to cope with making your child cry you know that it's actually best for them. Soon we are going to have to break Evelyn of her milk at bedtime dependency and she will probably scream enough to put Oakley to shame! Good luck!